The Need For Water Damage Services After A Storm
Water damage services can be needed for a number of causes. Common causes of water damage in Pittsburgh homes are leaky pipes, flooding from appliances, sewage backups, sump pump failure. While all water damage emergencies require a quick response, water damage from storms should be handled a little differently. At GS Jones, we know how important it is to be prepared for anything, and we also know that people who know how to correctly respond to water damage from a storm have better outcomes for their homes. This is why we have put together a checklist to help you know what to do if your home suffers from water damage due to a storm.
Water Damage Services In Pittsburgh
Responding to Water Damage After a Storm:
- Contact your Insurance Agency. Whether or not your policy covers water damage from natural disasters, it is still important to reach out to your homeowners insurance and let them know what has happened. It is also beneficial to let your insurance agency know which restoration company you are working with. Most restoration companies have experience working with insurance companies and will be able to help file claims or answer questions you may have.
- Before entering a storm flooded home, evaluate its structural integrity. When in doubt, do not enter at all until a qualified structural builder or engineer has cleared the home.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure safety. Make sure power sources are turned off, keep young children and pets out of the affected area, and treat all water as if it is contaminated. Wear personal protective clothing (rubber gloves, boots, etc.) if you have to be in contact with water, but try to avoid it.
- Document the damage. Take photos or even a video of the damage your property has ensued. An adjuster will be sent to your home to evaluate the loss, but do not wait for them to arrive before you being documenting it yourself. If you need to begin the restoration process before a claims representative arrives, photos will help to prove loss mitigation.
- Open doors and windows to allow ventilation. Airflow will discourage microbial growth and spread.
- Remove furniture or standing items that can be moved out of the area. Items that have been damaged beyond repair will only take up space and hold onto unnecessary moisture in the area.
- Do not panic. It is stressful and overwhelming when dealing with this type of water damage. However, if you can stay calm and in control things will be much easier to deal with. This is where we come in. G.S Jones is ready to provide water damage services 24/7 whether from storm water or any other source. We take the burden off of you, and leave you with peace of mind that your home is in the best hands. Our goal is to help make your life easier during a difficult time, and our experience and expertise will leave you with the best results possible.